Monday, October 17, 2011

My Brother the Missionary

My baby brother Zach is currently serving in the Buenos Aires Argentina mission.  He is coming home in 7 months, or as my mom likes to count, by transfers.  According to my mom he has 4 transfers left, and on the 5th one he is coming home.  He comes home the second week of May.  He is going to be home before I know it and I can not wait!!  I have had some pretty mixed emotions about him being gone.  I know that he is doing a good thing.  Going on a mission is the best thing for young men to do, but knowing that doesn't make me miss him any less.  It has been hard for me the whole time he has been gone, but it has been the worst the last couple of months.  I miss him everyday.  I miss him to the point that sometimes I can't control my tears of sadness.
 
Me, Zach, and Ami.  Jake was on his mission when this picture was taken.

Zach and I had not always been so close.  We never fought as children growing up, but we never really hung out together either.  It has only been the last few years that him and I have grown very close as brother and sister.  He would come to Provo and spend 3 or 4 days with me and Chris, even if we had nothing planned for those few days.  He just loved being with us and around us.  Whenever we would come to Clinton he would drop whatever he was doing so that he could spend time with us.  Even if that meant leaving his best friend Carson for a few hours.  It was wonderful being able to build that friendship with him.  I would definitely consider him one of my best friends.  We have very similar personalities, sense of humor, and thoughts on how to handle life, and we have bonded over that.  We both do not like conflict and will do anything to make sure there is peace in any tense situation.  It has been wonderful.  I know that we will still be just as close when he comes home too.  I can not wait to catch up and start a new relationship and friendship with him.  
Taken at my wedding dinner.

I know from phone calls on Mothers Day and Christmas and from weekly emails that he has not changed at all.  The only change that I have noticed is that he is more mature with life.  He has grown up a lot, but he is still my little brother.  I love him and miss him dearly.  I look forward to the day that he can call me just to talk, or send me a hysterical text about the most random thing he could think of.  He loves making people laugh, and everyone that meets Zach loves him.  He has a very easy going personality and makes friends very easily.  
Chris and Zach the day Zach opened his mission call.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say, I hope that he returns home safely and just as Zach as ever.  I miss you and love you Zach.  I am looking forward to May when we get to see each other again.

No comments:

Post a Comment