Monday, March 19, 2012

Conversation Between Strangers

On Saturday Chris and I went to Glades in Spanish Fork.  While we were there I had an interesting conversation with a man that I had never met before.  It went a little something like this.

Man:  So, how is school going?
Katie:  Fine?  (At this point I am thinking to myself, "How do I know this man?"  Turns out I didn't know him.)
Man:  School is going fine?  That is good to hear.
Katie:  Yeah, school is fine.
Man:  What grade of school are you in?
Katie:  What grade?  Um... (Trying really hard to think what a sophomore in college technically would be, but there had been a long pause, so I just answered...)  I am in college.
Man:  You're in college?  Really?
Katie:  I sure am.
Man:  Oh, what are you going to major in?
Katie:  I'm not sure yet.  I have switched my major a few times now, so I am not sure if I have decided.
Man:  Well I think that you should major in something that is math based, so probably something with computers. 

He talked for a really long time about his own major, and what he thinks I should do with my life.  So I am just going to jump ahead to the end of the conversation.

Man:  (He looked over at Chris at this point)  So, you must be her boyfriend.
Chris:  No, I am actually her husband.
Man:  Her husband??  (He then looked back at me just to double check my age, which at this point we are convinced that he thought that I was 17 or 18.)  Well that's even better.  You make sure that she doesn't end up in Cosmetology.  Unless you own your own shop there is no future there.
Chris:  I don't think we need to worry about that.
Man:  That's good to hear.  Well, I'll let you two go.  That is your life lesson from a stranger today.
Katie:  Okay.

This is the point that our fries luckily were done, and so we just left.

Chris and I talked about it for a little bit after it had happened, and we're still not sure who he was, or why he started talking to me.  Also, I know that I look younger than I actually am, but I know that I don't look like I am still in high school.  It was a bizarre experience, but it now makes for a very good story.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you random man for giving advice when it was neither asked for or needed! Loved the story though!

    ReplyDelete